Excerpt from "Snowed In at the Ranch"

 

“Well, I’ll leave you to get settled then.” Levi moved to close the door.

“Wait,” Rachel said, unwilling to analyze why she was reluctant to have him leave.

He paused, his brown eyes searching hers beneath the brim of his hat and her heart climbed into her throat.

“Uh,” she stammered, grasping for something to keep him there. Her gaze landed on the fireplace and she moved toward it. “Can you show me how this works? Is there a switch somewhere?” She rubbed at her arms. With the door left open it was getting chilly inside.

“Of course. I’m sorry, I don’t usually do guest check in so I forgot about the fireplace.” Levi stepped into the room and removed his hat, setting it on the nearby coatrack. He must have noticed her rubbing her arms because he hesitated a moment before closing the door behind him. “I’ll get this going for you and it will warm up really quick in here.”

Rachel nodded. It was already getting warm in there. As soon as he’d closed the door and they were alone, it felt like the air crackled with new intensity. She caught the faintest hint of leather mixed with something deliciously musky, perhaps his cologne or aftershave, and it caused a stirring in her chest. She swallowed and tried to think of something neutral to say to cut through the palpable tension. “So is this the main source of heat in the cabin?”

“Nope. There’s a thermostat over on the wall by the bathroom door.” He nodded toward the wall and she followed his line of sight.

“Oh good. And I’m glad to know there’s a bathroom. I was worried I might have to use an outhouse.”

Levi laughed and shook his head. “I don’t imagine we’d have too many returning guests if we made them use an outhouse in December.”

“True.” She chuckled along with him, enjoying the sound of his rumbling laughter before it died down. He retrieved a lighter from his pocket and crouched to hold it to the pile of logs.

“Oh … it’s not a gas fireplace?” She’d assumed the pile of logs in the hearth were fake, just like every fireplace she’d seen in Phoenix.

“This is the real deal,” he said with a smile. “But we don’t expect our guests to light it themselves, so anytime you want it lit, just call to the front desk and one of the staff will come take care of it for you.” 

“Wow. Such service,” she said, smiling. Could she request who came to light it? In that case, she just might need to have it lit on a regular basis.

“We aim to please.” Levi waited until the flames starting licking at the logs. “That will start warming things up in a second, so you should be all set.” He stood and straightened, sliding his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. “Can I get anything else for you?”

She shook her head, fighting a blush. The electric feeling returned, charging the air between them. “I’m good. Thanks so much.”

He met her eyes and dipped his chin. “Anytime. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you need anything. I’m sure Paisley will be getting in touch with you soon since she’s your official guide here, but I’ll also be available if you need me.”

“How will I get a hold of you?” Rachel asked before realizing how forward that sounded. “I mean, if Paisley isn’t available.”

Levi scratched his eyebrow. “Normally I would tell you to call the front desk. But there’s a good chance I won’t be around in the lodge since I’ve got the stock to tend to tonight.” He paused and tipped his head to the side. “Maybe I’d better give you my cell number so you can get a hold of me … just in case.” His eyes held hers in question.

Rachel’s heart flipped. “Okay.” She pulled out her cell and handed it to him so he could type in his number.

Levi’s neck slowly flushed above the collar as he typed. “Especially with Hannah not feeling well,” he explained. “I’m not sure if Paisley will be available and I’d hate for you to feel neglected.”

“Thanks. I might have some questions or need directions somewhere, so I appreciate you helping me out,” she said, making it sound as businesslike as possible to hide the giddiness she felt. She was here to work. Not to flirt with the handsome cowboy. She had to remember that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Commonly Asked Question

See What People Are Saying About Snowed In at the Ranch